Pasta Wheels and Cheese
Put a new spin on macaroni and cheese with pasta wagon wheels (rotelle). Spoon into little paper cups for easy serving.
- Servings: 10
Photography: Minh + Wass
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 1 pound rotelle pasta (wagon wheel)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon, or yellow mustard
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 10 ounces), plus 4 tablespoons for topping
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add pasta; cook until al dente. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Melt butter in a deep skillet over medium heat.When butter begins to foam, add flour; cook, whisking, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in hot milk. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture starts to bubble and thicken, about 5 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt, a pinch of black pepper, cayenne,mustard, and cheese; stir until melted.
Stir cheese sauce into the pasta, and serve immediately.