Chicken-Apple Sausage and Pasta Soup
This soup has pasta, sausage and vegetable for serious sustenance for a nice midday energy boost.
- Servings: 2
Photography: Dana Gallagher
Source: Body+Soul, March 2006
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup dried (2 ounces) whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
- 6 ounces chicken-apple sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 wedges store-bought cornbread, optional
In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook macaroni until al dente (slightly firm) following package instructions; drain.
In the same saucepan bring the broth to a simmer over medium heat. Add the vegetables; cook 5 minutes. Add the sausage and macaroni and cook just until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Transfer to a thermos (or two); divide Parmesan and wrap separately. At lunchtime, add Parmesan and serve with a wedge of cornbread, if desired.