Shrimp with Spicy Orange Flavor
Serve this simple yet flavorful dish, from author Mark Bittman, with couscous or rice.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 or 4 large cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 or more small dried hot red chiles
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Juice from 1 orange
- 16 large shrimp, peeled
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
Combine oil and garlic in a skillet no larger than 10 inches across. Turn the heat to medium, and cook until the garlic begins to sizzle, then turn the heat to medium-low. When garlic is blond, stir in chiles, orange zest, and orange juice. Add shrimp, and raise the heat to high.
Cook, stirring occasionally and sprinkling with salt, until the shrimp are all pink, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and add most of the cilantro and the lemon juice. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with the remaining cilantro.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 1999