- Yield: Makes enough for one 9-inch single-crust pie
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour, (not self-rising)
- 2 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon cold vegetable shortening
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
Whisk together flours, wheat germ, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Blend in butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in 1/4 cup buttermilk with a fork until dough begins to form. Add additional buttermilk until dough holds together when pinched between fingers. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.