Pear and Dried Cherry Pie
- 1 1/2 cups dried tart cherries
- 4 pounds firm pears, (about 7), peeled and cored
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, (2 lemons)
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pate Brisee
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place cherries in small bowl, cover with 1 cup hot water. Let stand until cherries have softened, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice pears. Transfer pears to a large bowl, and toss with lemon juice. Drain cherries; add to pears along with sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Toss; set aside.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out one pate brisee round to 1/8 inch thick. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Fill pie bottom with reserved cherry-pear filling, and dot with butter.
Reflour surface, and roll out remaining piece of dough to 1/8 inch thick; place on top of filled pie shell. Crimp top and bottom edges together; cut slits across top of dough. Sprinkle the top of the pie with sugar. Bake until the crust is golden and baked through, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.