- 1 small (or 1/2 large) baguette
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- 8 ounces chanterelles or other wild mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 12 rounds (1/4 inch thick) goat cheese, cut from a log (about 6 ounces), room temperature
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut baguette crosswise into 12 quarter-inch thick slices; place on a baking sheet. Brush with oil; season with salt and pepper. Toast in the middle of oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallot; cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and any juices have evaporated, 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place a round of goat cheese on top of each crostini; top with a tablespoon of mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with chives. Serve warm.