Asian Noodles with Chicken and Pineapple
The sweet flavor of pineapple and red bell pepper goes well with the savory peanuts and fresh mint in this Southeast Asian noodle salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2004
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise (2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and sliced into bite-size wedges (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
In a large pot of boiling water, cook beans until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper, and stir to submerge. Using a small sieve, transfer vegetables to a bowl. Add noodles to boiling water, and cook until al dente according to package directions, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water, and reserve.
Meanwhile, in a small skillet, bring 1 cup salted water to a simmer over medium heat. Add chicken breasts; cover, and cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat; let steam until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with a fork.
In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, and sugar. Add reserved vegetables and noodles, chicken, pineapple, mint, and 1/4 cup peanuts; season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat with dressing. Serve immediately, topped with remaining 1/4 cup peanuts.