Under 30 Minutes
Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Lime
Dress up sweet potatoes with a flavorful brown sugar glaze. The sweetness of this extra-tasty side dish is balanced by a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add sweet potatoes; cook, stirring once, until beginning to brown, 2 minutes.
Add broth, packed brown sugar, and fresh lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, 10 minutes. Uncover, and cook over medium-high until sweet potatoes are tender and liquid is syrupy, 7 to 9 minutes more (there should be only a small amount of liquid remaining).
Remove skillet from heat; add butter, and swirl skillet until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
SourceEveryday Food, November 2008