Glazed Root Vegetables
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 6 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 6 parsnips, peeled and julienned
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Coarse salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh chives, for garnish
Cut a round of parchment paper to cover a large, high-sided skillet; set aside. Place vegetables, butter, and bay leaf in the skillet. Add water until vegetables are almost covered, about 3 1/2 cups, and bring to a boil. Cover with parchment round, and cook until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Swirl skillet to coat vegetables with glaze. (If glaze is too thin, remove vegetables with a slotted spoon, raise heat, and cook until thickened. Return vegetables to skillet.) Season with salt, and serve garnished with chives.