Mixed Fruit-and-Nut Cookies
These hearty cookies are packed with wholesome dried fruits and nuts. They borrow their delicious flavors from the traditional holiday fruitcake.
- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pistachios
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Put butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until smooth. Add sugars, and mix until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs one at a time until combined; mix in vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low. Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in coconut, apricots, dates, macadamias, and pistachios.
Drop batter, 2 heaping tablespoons at a time, onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven; transfer cookies on parchment paper to a wire rack to cool completely.