Chicory Salad with Maple-Roasted Acorn Squash
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 3/4 pounds), halved, seeded, and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 7 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 heads frisee, separated into small pieces
- 1 head escarole, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skins removed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil and the syrup, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, flipping once, until golden brown and tender, about 20 minutes; set aside.
Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Pour in remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking. Season with pepper.
Just before serving, toss greens and squash with dressing, and arrange on a platter. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.