Braised Red Cabbage with Apple and Onion
This side goes well with roasted pork or turkey.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2009
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Gala or Fuji apple, halved, cored, and sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (2 pounds), cored, quartered, and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. Add onion and apple; cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in red cabbage and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Add cider vinegar, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and sugar.