Under 30 Minutes
Ham-and-Sage-Stuffed Chicken with Broccoli
Our method for cooking frozen broccoli ensures fresh flavor every time. Frozen green beans or mixed vegetables would be equally tasty.
- 4 slices white sandwich bread, cut into cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces sliced deli ham, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), thawed if frozen
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
In a medium bowl, combine bread, ham, sage, and 2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Lay chicken flat on a work surface. Using a paring knife, cut a 2-inch-long slit in the thick side of each breast half. Insert knife, and pivot, carefully forming a deep pocket without enlarging opening (or piercing through opposite side). Stuff each pocket with bread mixture, packing tightly; season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned on one side, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn chicken over; cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until chicken is opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes more. Transfer to a plate (reserve skillet); cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high; add broccoli and garlic. Cook, tossing, until broccoli is warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in vinegar. Serve stuffed chicken with broccoli.