Bay Scallop Seviche with Melon Pearls
In seviche, seafood marinates in lemon or lime juice, which turns it firm and opaque, eliminating the need for cooking. Serve this in scallop shells or inner leaves of Boston or Bibb lettuce.
- 1/2 pound tiny bay scallops, muscles removed, or sea scallops, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 honeydew melon, seeds removed
- 1/3 cantaloupe, seeds removed
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, or less to taste, sliced into paper-thin rounds
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Toss together scallops, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate until scallops are opaque to the center, at least 4 hours or overnight.
Meanwhile, working over a bowl to collect juice and using a 1/4-inch (or smallest possible) melon baller, make 2/3 cup melon balls from each melon. Add melon balls, juices, jalapeno, and cilantro to scallops. Toss well to combine, and serve.