Shrimp In Coconut Curry
Basmati rice makes an excellent complement to this dish. You can flavor the rice by adding a bay leaf, a cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods to the pot.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 small cloves)
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger (1-inch piece)
- 1 can (13 1/2 ounces) coconut milk
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 small green chile pepper, such as serrano or jalepeno, thinly sliced into rings, seeds removed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 fresh cilantro leaves
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and saute until translucent.
Add coconut milk, and simmer until reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Add shrimp and chile pepper, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is fully cooked, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cilantro leaves.