Under 30 Minutes
Gingered Lychees with Sesame Cookies
Canned lychees form a stunningly simple dessert when embellished with sharply sweet candied ginger. Sesame cookies provide a crisp contrast.
- 1 can (20 ounces) lychees in syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for sheet
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
Pour lychees and their syrup into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together sugar and egg white. Add flour, salt, butter, and cream, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in sesame seeds.
Pour batter into 2 rounds on a baking sheet that's lightly buttered and floured or lined with a nonstick baking mat. Using the back of a spoon, spread into 7-inch rounds. Sprinkle lightly with seeds. Bake until golden, about 16 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack, and break into wedges.
Divide lychees and syrup among 4 serving dishes. Sprinkle with crystallized ginger, and serve with cookies.