Chicken, Lemon, and Dill with Orzo
Delicious and convenient, this baked-pasta dish is an irresistible all-in-one dinner. The Greek flavors in this dish are great with a fresh salad like our recipe for Fennel with Parsley, Parmesan, and Lemon. For a vegetarian main course, omit the chicken and use vegetable broth.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, November 2009
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound orzo
- 2 cups crumbled feta (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan, bring broth, 3/4 cup water, butter, salt, and pepper to a boil. In a 3-quart baking dish, combine chicken, orzo, feta, dill, lemon zest and juice. Pour broth mixture over orzo and stir once to incorporate. Bake until orzo is tender and cooking liquid is creamy, 40 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and let stand 5 minutes before serving.