This dip should be served immediately; avocados turn brown when exposed to air.
- Yield: Makes about 4 cups
Photography: Luca Trovato
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2000
- 4 avocados
- 3 tablespoons (about 2 limes) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1 scallion, sliced 1/8- inch thick
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the avocados in half; remove the pits, and peel. Coarsely chop the avocados, and place them in a medium bowl.
Stir in the lime juice, hot-pepper sauce, scallion, tomato, cilantro, salt, and pepper.