Fideos with Shrimp
This delicious recipe for fideos with fava beans and shrimp comes courtesy of Joey Campanaro.
- 1/4 cup shelled fresh fava beans
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 to 6 jumbo shrimp, unpeeled, preferably head on
- 1 pound spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped Spanish onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups homemade or canned store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- Pinch of choricero pepper paste
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup chopped green Spanish or Kalamata olives
- 2 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated pecorino Romano
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook fava beans 1 minute. Drain and immediately transfer beans to ice-water bath until cool. Peel beans; set aside.
Melt butter in an 11 1/2-inch paella pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until bright red, about 1 minute; remove shrimp from pan and set aside. Add pasta to paella pan and stir until well coated with butter. Cook until evenly browned and toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring, and allowing pasta to absorb stock after each addition before adding more. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add pepper paste, roasted peppers, olives, reserved fava beans, and basil; stir to combine. Add shrimp and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with pecorino Romano. Divide evenly between 2 plates and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2007