Green Onion And Watercress Soup With Cheese Croutons
This soup can be made easily in the workplace. Pack the bouillon cube, scallions, and watercress in an airtight container; stir in hot water when ready to serve. The croutons can be made ahead and packed separately.
- 1 slice multigrain bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 ounce (about 1/2 cup) Gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cube low-sodium vegetable bouillon
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped watercress, toughest stems discarded
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss bread cubes with cheese on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until cheese has melted and bread is lightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Divide bouillon cube, scallions, watercress, and salt between 2 mugs. Pour 1 cup boiling water into each; stir to dissolve bouillon. Serve immediately with cheese croutons.