Chocolate ZZZ Cookies
- Yield: Makes about 5 Dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter and sugar in a large bowl; beat until smooth. Add egg yolk, flour, cocoa, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; mix until well blended and smooth.
Divide dough in half. Roll out one piece between two sheets of parchment paper 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with remaining piece. Stack dough (still between parchment paper) on a baking sheet; freeze 15 minutes.
Working with one piece at a time, cut out dough with a 3-inch-high Z-shape cookie cutter, easing out shapes onto parchment-lined baking sheets as you work. Refrigerate shapes until firm, about 15 minutes.
Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until firm, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely on sheets on a wire rack.