Baked Apple Wedges
McIntosh apples have the best texture for this easy dessert because they become soft without falling apart.
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 McIntosh apples
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- Fresh mint leaves, as garnish
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over a baking sheet. Combine oats, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and spices in the work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Add half the almonds and process until finely chopped. Add remaining almonds; process until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
Peel apples and cut into quarters. Cut out cores. Dip apples into egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Coat well with the oatmeal-nut mixture and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired. Garnish with mint leaves.