Black-Eyed Pea Tacos
Black-eyed peas add protein and a slight smoky taste to this vegetarian dish. To save some time when preparing this recipe, mince the garlic and chiles together.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2004
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, heated
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Shredded lettuce, salsa, and sliced radishes, for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add peas, corn, and 2 cups water. Simmer over medium-high heat until corn is tender and most liquid has evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in cilantro; season again with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
To serve, fill heated tortillas with black-eyed pea mixture, goat cheese, and garnishes, as desired.