Use this recipe when making our Saffron Cakes with Lemon-Fig Compote.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Photography: Kirsten Strecker
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 3 small lemons (preferably Meyer), peel and pith removed, segments coarsely chopped, peel very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- 2 tablespoons orange-blossom honey
- 8 dried Turkish figs, halved
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot mixed with 2 teaspoons water
Place chopped lemon segments in a bowl; squeeze juice from membranes into bowl. Set aside. Put lemon peel into a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, then drain and repeat.
Bring sugar, spices, honey, lemon segments and juice, lemon peel, and 1 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to low; simmer 20 minutes.
Add figs. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in arrowroot; cook 2 minutes. Let cool. Remove cardamom and cinnamon.