Greek Salad with Broiled Shrimp
- 12 medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and cut crosswise into 1-inch strips
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled if waxy, and cut into large chunks
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound black olives, preferably Kalamata
Heat broiler. Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact; remove veins from backs. Place shrimp in a small bowl, and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Thread three shrimp onto a metal skewer; place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp and three more skewers. Broil until tops are browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip; cook until browned and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Set shrimp aside.
In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oregano, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in remaining A cup olive oil. Set aside.
Divide romaine among four plates. Place some of the tomato, cucumbers, onion, and olives on each plate; top with a reserved shrimp skewer. Drizzle with reserved dressing, and serve.