Shrimp Tikka Masala
This recipe can also be made with one pound of sliced skinless chicken breasts. Both variations pair well with mango chutney.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2010
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger (from one 6-inch piece)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons garam masala (kalustyans.com)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup water
- 20 large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled (tails intact) and deveined
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion until golden, about 20 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, and chili powder, and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Add water and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.