Mixed Greens Salad with Freshly Shelled Peas and Edible Flowers
This elegant salad, with edible flowers and freshly shelled peas, provides a light counter to any grilled meal.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2008
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas
- 1 baguette, sliced diagonally into 12 pieces
- 1 cup olive oil, plus more for bread
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot (from 1 shallot)
- 24 cups mixed lettuces
- Edible flowers, for serving
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add peas, and cook until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain immediately, rinse, and drain again.
Preheat grill to medium-high. (If using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for 3 to 4 seconds). Brush both sides of bread slices with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Grill until toasted and lightly charred, about 1 minute per side.
Place oil, lemon juice, mustard, water, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a jar. Cover, and shake to emulsify dressing.
Mix peas, lettuces, edible flowers, and 1 cup vinaigrette in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve salad with grilled bread and remaining vinaigrette on the side.