You will need 1 cup of mashed potatoes for this recipe, which comes from Kristin Klauser of Seaside, California. Peel and quarter a medium russet potato; boil in salted water (to cover) until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2004
- 2 scallions, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup plain mashed potatoes, room temperature or chilled
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Assorted garnishes, such as olives, crumbled feta cheese, lettuce leaves, lemon wedges, and warm pita bread (optional)
In a food processor, combine scallions, carrot, cilantro, parsley, cumin, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper; process until finely chopped. Add potatoes and chickpeas; pulse until just combined (mixture should be stiff). Shape into eight 2-inch patties.
Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; reduce heat to medium, and cook until golden brown and heated through, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Transfer patties to a platter, and serve with garnishes, as desired.