Candied Butternut Squash
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced, peeled
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small butternut squash, (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
Put marmalade, sugar, ginger, vanilla bean, cloves, and lemon juice in a large, wide pot. Stir in 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve marmalade and sugar.
Add squash, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and partially cover pot. Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 35 minutes. Uncover, and cook until liquid is syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove vanilla bean, and discard. Serve warm. Squash and syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 week. Before serving, reheat over medium-low heat. If the syrup seems too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2005