Warm Carrot and Lentil Salad
This dish is delicious served warm or at room temperature. Per serving: 271 calories, 3 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 54 g carbs, 256 mg sodium, 10 g protein, 9 g fiber
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, pepper, cumin, and ground coriander, and saute, stirring the mixture frequently, until the pepper is slightly softened, about 3 minutes more.
Add the lentils and chicken stock, and keep at a strong simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 17 minutes.
Add the apricots, and continue to simmer, stirring, 1 minute more. Stir in the golden raisins. Remove from heat, stir in the cilantro and parsley, and serve.