Pickled Cucumbers and Jalapenos
Jalapenos range from mild to strong. They can be roasted, stewed, or, as in this case, pickled.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 1/2 quarts
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 4 red jalapenos, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 3 small onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
In a bowl, toss cucumbers, jalapenos, onions, and salt. Cover; refrigerate 2 hours.
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Rinse and drain cucumber mixture. Pour vinegar mixture over; let cool. Refrigerate, covered, up to 3 weeks.