Under 30 Minutes
Caesar Salad for Two
- 2 thick slices rustic white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 large egg yolk or 1 tablespoon pasteurized egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cored, outer leaves discarded, and heart cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Let croutons cool completely.
On a cutting board, combine garlic, anchovies, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a large knife, drag the blade at an angle across mixture until a paste forms. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons oil. Season with pepper. Just before serving, add croutons and lettuce to dressing and toss; top with Parmesan.
SourceEveryday Food, January 2010