Load up on intense flavor, and pare down on calories with less oil, fewer nuts-and more basil. We served this better-for-you pesto over whole-wheat pasta. Since fresh basil is at its peak now, double up on the classic sauce.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 3/4 cup
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2007
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves (2 ounces total)
- 3 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor, combine basil, walnuts, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Puree until a paste forms.
With motor running, add oil in a thin stream. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute.