Gemelli with Tomatoes, Olives, and Ricotta
A tangy sun-dried tomato vinaigrette clings to spiral-shaped gemelli in this summery salad. Olives and capers add a mellow kick and rich, creamy ricotta tempers the piquant flavors.
- Coarse salt
- 8 ounces gemelli (or fusilli or penne)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, torn
- Fresh ricotta cheese, for serving
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain. Drizzle with just enough oil to coat. Spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate 10 minutes.
Pulse sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, capers, and garlic in a food processor. With machine running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss together pasta, sun-dried-tomato vinaigrette, grape tomatoes, olives, basil, and salt. Transfer to serving plates. Top with a scoop of ricotta, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with pepper.