- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 small carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Stir in rice, and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, and add to bowl of vegetables. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, and cumin. Serve with grilled salmon.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, February 2001