Herb Panzanella with Tomatoes and Husk Cherries
Sweet Sun Gold tomatoes and a mixture of herbs give this simple salad from Maialino chef Nick Anderer its fresh-from-the-garden flavor.
- 16 Sun Gold tomatoes, halved
- 20 small husk cherries, husks removed, rinsed, and halved
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 slices ciabatta or rustic Italian bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup Tomato Water, or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup freshly picked herbs, such as, mint, basil, tarragon, chives, and oregano, chopped if large
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Place tomatoes, husk cherries, and onion in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to combine and set aside.
In a medium ovenproof skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, until lightly browned. Add bread and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until bread is crisp, about 12 minutes.
Add bread to bowl with tomatoes, along with tomato water and vinegar; toss to combine. Let stand, occasionally tossing to evenly saturate, until liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add herbs and toss to combine; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and serve immediately.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, September 2010