Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1997
- 2 large leeks, white and light-green parts
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for coating dish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush a 9-inch Pyrex pie plate or gratin dish with oil. Trim stem ends of leeks; cut into 1/4-inch-thick diagonal rounds. Place in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to rid them of dirt and sand. Pat dry. In a medium bowl, gently toss leeks, zucchini, squash, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Arrange vegetable slices in bottom of pie plate, slightly overlapping them.
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over vegetables, and bake until the bread crumbs are golden brown and vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.