Fennel Salad with Blood Oranges
Try this savory fennel salad from chef Alain Allegretti of Allegretti restaurant for a healthy and delicious side dish. Serve with Trouchia, a classic French egg dish, for an unforgettable meal.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March 2010
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Slice the top and bottom of both oranges with a paring knife. Set one of the flat sides on your work surface. From top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit, cut away peel and white pith. Trim off any remaining pith. Holding the orange over a bowl, cut along both sides of each segment, staying close to the membrane, to release. Discard membrane.
Place fennel slices and chopped parsley in a large bowl. Add olive oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Serve topped with orange segments.