Green Vegetable Medley
Add any spring vegetables to this dish, but make sure to choose fresh and tender ones that will cook in a flash.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, ends trimmed if tough
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small leek, dark-green leaves trimmed, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch spinach, stems trimmed
- 4 ounces sweet baby peas
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
Fill a 12-inch skillet with about 1 inch of cold water. Place over high heat; bring to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add asparagus; cover, and simmer until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove asparagus from skillet, and transfer to serving plate. Pour off water from skillet.
Return skillet to heat, and melt butter. Add leek, and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Add spinach and peas, season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper; cover, and cook until spinach is wilted and peas are tender, about 3 minutes. Turn the vegetables out of the skillet over asparagus, and serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 1997