Fresh Rigatoni with Bolognese Sauce
Fulfill your pasta craving with a plate of delicious homemade rigatoni bolognese.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 cups canned peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, (optional)
- 1 pound fresh rigatoni
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion; cook for two minutes. Add beef and pork; cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is nicely browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, bring a 6-quart pot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt water and return to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, 5 to 7 minutes; drain.
Add heavy cream, if using, to sauce; stir to combine. Serve immediately over pasta.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, December 2009