Sweet and Savory Baked Chicken with Pineapple and Tarragon
This chicken dish is delicious served with a side of steamed green beans, oven-roasted tomatoes, and rice.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2007
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon (2 sprigs chopped, 2 whole sprigs for roasting), plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 1/2 pounds), cut into pieces
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 8 shallots (2 coarsely chopped, 6 halved lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir chopped tarragon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over chicken. Transfer to a large roasting pan, arranging chicken so pieces are not touching. Refrigerate until ready to bake (up to 1 day).
Put pineapple, chopped shallots, vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a food processor. Process until mixture is slightly chunky, about 2 minutes.
Spread pineapple mixture over chicken. Top with dabs of butter. Add the remaining tarragon sprigs and 6 shallots to roasting pan. Bake chicken, basting with pan juices occasionally, until skin is golden, about 50 minutes.