Braised Chicken with Dates
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), cut into quarters
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced small
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 lemons, halved, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Flip chicken and cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add onions to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add ginger, paprika, and coriander; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Arrange chicken evenly over onion mixture, add 2 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a serving dish and increase heat to high. Boil cooking liquid until reduced by half, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in dates and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with lemon halves.