Easy Slab Pie Pate Brisee
- Yield: Makes enough for one 15-by-10-inch pie
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water, plus more if needed
Place flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor; pulse for a few seconds to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 seconds.
With machine running, pour ice water through feed tube in a slow, steady stream, until dough just holds together when squeezed. If needed, add more ice water 1 tablespoon at a time. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
Turn out dough onto a clean work surface. Divide into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Form into flattened rectangles. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.