Jeffrey's Dai Mint and Tomato Salad
This spicy Southeast Asian salad, from cookbook author Jeffrey Alford, is meant to be scooped up with balls of sticky rice.
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2002
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 to 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 Thai bird chile, finely chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup roughly torn tender fresh mint, holy basil, or cilantro leaves (or a combination)
- 1 tablespoon Jeffrey's Hot Chile Oil Jeffrey's Hot Chile Oil
Place garlic and salt in a large mortar. Using the pestle, work to combine. Add scallions and chile, and work to combine. Add tomatoes and mint, and gently pound until tomatoes are slightly crushed and mint is bruised. Transfer to a shallow bowl, and drizzle with oil.