Crostini with Tuna and White Bean Puree
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing crostini
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- Pinch of crushed red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 4 1/4-inch-thick diagonal slices pugliese or country-style bread, halved crosswise
- 1 (6.3-ounce) can oil-packed Italian tuna
- 8 Cerignola olives, pitted and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, rosemary, sage, red-pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is soft and golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add cannellini beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Transfer bean mixture to the bowl of a food processor. Add red-wine vinegar and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush bread on both sides with olive oil. Place bread slices on grill pan; cook, turning once, until bread is toasted and grill marks appear, about 2 minutes per side.
Spread two tablespoons white bean puree on each slice of grilled bread. Top with tuna and sliced olives. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March 2010