Gingerbread Gift Tags
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark unsulfured molasses
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
Put butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in spices and salt. Reduce speed to low; mix in eggs and molasses. Gradually mix in flour. Divide dough into thirds; shape into disks, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour (up to 3 days).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out each piece of dough to 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured parchment paper. Transfer dough on parchment to baking sheets. Cover with another piece of parchment. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
Remove parchment. Cut out shapes, and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. (If dough becomes too soft, return to freezer until firm.) Using a very small round pastry tip (such as Ateco #7), make an 1/8-inch hole in top of each cookie for the ribbon. Cover with parchment; place another baking sheet on top to keep cookies flat while baking.
Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks; remove top sheets. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 5 days before using.