Speckled Cinnamon Frosting
Make this speckled cinnamon frosting for mini heart-shaped cakes, two recipes courtesy of Matt Lewis from Baked.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Food coloring, in desired color
Whisk together sugar and flour in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add milk and cream and place over medium heat, whisking occasionally until mixture comes to a boil and has thickened, about 20 minutes.
Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until cool. Reduce speed to low and add butter; mix until well incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and mix until frosting is light and fluffy. Add vanilla and cinnamon and continue mixing until combined. Add a couple drops of food coloring while continuing to mix, until desired color is reached. If frosting is too soft, chill slightly and then re-mix to proper consistency. If frosting becomes too firm, place bowl over a pot of simmering water and re-mix to proper consistency.