Under 30 Minutes
Spicy Shrimp and Tomato Pasta
Begin cooking the shrimp and sauce while the pot of water is coming to a boil so everything i ready at the same time. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp, as they can easily become tough.
- 1 pound penne, (or other short tubular pasta)
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return pasta to pot.
Meanwhile, season shrimp with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over high heat. Add half the shrimp; cook until lightly browned on both sides and opaque throughout, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and shrimp (reduce heat if browning too quickly).
Reduce heat to medium; add capers, red-pepper flakes, and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened and sauce has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add sauce and shrimp to pasta; toss.
SourceEveryday Food, May 2005