Pork Chops with Bulgur Stuffing
- 2/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 (each 8 ounces and 1 inch thick) boneless center-cut pork chops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Chutney (optional)
Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. Place bulgur and apricots in a fine sieve set in a bowl; cover with boiling water, and let soak 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water; press to remove excess water. Set aside.
Make stuffing: In a large bowl, whisk together egg, cumin, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add almonds, scallions, and reserved bulgur and apricots; mix to combine.
Slice a deep pocket in each pork chop (do not cut all the way through). Fill with stuffing; press to flatten. Place on a broilerproof baking sheet. Rub with oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil until opaque throughout (160 degrees), 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite chutney, if desired.