Mixed Chicories with Honey Vinaigrette
This sweet vinaigrette contrasts perfectly with the bitter greens.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 1995
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1 small head escarole (about 8 ounces)
- 1 head radicchio (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small red onion (about 4 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb (about 9 ounces), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-square pieces
Combine lemon juice, vinegar, and honey in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil, salt, pepper, and aniseed. Set aside.
Remove tough outer leaves from escarole and radicchio and discard. Slice escarole into 1/4-inch strips. Tear radicchio into bite-size pieces. Combine escarole, radicchio, red onion, and fennel in serving bowl; add vinaigrette and toss well. Adjust seasoning to taste with additional salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve.